Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I get an annulment on my marriage which was performed in…

Customer Question
Can I get an...

Can I get an annulment on my marriage which was performed in the Philippines in 2015. We have never lived together.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Utah.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has come to America but went to California with Uncle and Aunt.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. The state of UT has certain requirements if you wish to get an annulment in that state. They say:

The circumstances in which the court can order a marriage annulled are limited. Under Utah Code Section 30-1-17.1 a marriage can be annulled only for one of the following reasons:

• One person was married to someone else, including if that person's divorce decree was not yet final.
  • One person was under 18, and that person's parent did not consent to the marriage.
  • One person was under 14 (if the marriage was before May 3, 1999) or under 16 (if the marriage was on or after May 3, 1999).
  • The marriage was between close relatives (such as a brother and sister) who are not permitted to marry.

Because you would know better than me, do any of those circumstances apply?