Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to file a motion to confer with a child, and I need…

I need to file...

I need to file a motion to confer with a child, and I need to do this myself. How is that done?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There is a custody order in lace and 9 years of annual modifications by my former spouse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is 14 and wants more control over his summer schedule so that he can go to school related activities and summer school, especially if he doesn't pass STAAR.

3/12/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Here is the motion and notice to confer with a child: https://texaslawhelp.org/sites/default/files/fp_cc_104_motion_to_confer_with_child.pdf

You need to complete the motion, you need to file the original with the clerk and you need to mail a copy to the other parent and fill out proof of service.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the forms, I need to know HOW to "file a motion". Do I mail them to the clerk, do I send the service certified, will a receipt from UPS or USPS do? I need the minutiae of the process.

Thank you for your reply.

The process is fairly straight forward. You have to deliver them personally to the clerk's office, after you fill out the forms and sign them as required. They are personally filed at the clerk's office. As far to the other party, regular first class mail is used to send a copy of the motion to the other parent.

That is all you need to do to file the motion.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Sounds pretty straight forward. I don't need a call right now but if I get stuck, I'll keep your contact info.

Thank you for your reply.

Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

We wish you the best. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In my research it seems that I can also e file. It's that possible and if so, what is the procedure?

Thank you for your reply.

E-file depends on the court you are filing in and you need to register with that clerk of court to file.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked at the Tarrant county site and have seen the registration page. Can you let me know if I am eligible to register and file this motion electronically? It's there an additional cost?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you can register in Tarrant county online for e-file and then you can file the motion with efile, you need to just follow the site instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. Thanks.

You are welcome.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer