Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I moved to Tenessee, from Texas, at the end of…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I moved to Tenessee, from Texas, at the end of September 2017. She is wanting to leave the state and take our child to either Colorado or California. She is not moving there, but while we're separating she is want to go there. What can I do to prevent this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She also is saying that she is not going to stay in the state of Tennessee with our child after we divorce. Is this something that she can do easily?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need to go to court in TN, since you have lived there the last 6 months and you need to file a petition for divorce and ask the court for a temporary custody/visitation order right there in TN before she leaves the state and tries to establish a residence in CA or CO where the divorce laws are less favorable for the husband.

If you filed divorce already in TN, then you need to file a motion for temporary custody/visitation restricting her from removing the child from the state.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer