Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex boyfriend and I have joint custody of our daughter.

Customer Question
My ex boyfriend and...

My ex boyfriend and I have joint custody of our daughter. Whenever she over at her dad place. He doesn't let her wash her hair or brush her teeth and he only care about his needs and not about her needs

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

You have the ability to ask the judge to change the custody order based on a material change in circumstances. The fact that he's not taking care of your daughter is a material change. The judge can order a guardian ad litem to make visits when the child is with him and report back on their findings. Or, if you'll concerned that he'll start taking care of her once you file, you can ask child services to investigate whether your daughter is being neglected while she is with him.

Depending on her age, your daughter can testify as to how she is treated at her father's house. Even children as young as five or six may be allowed to speak privately with the judge in chambers, if the judge finds that she is old enough to understand what it means to promise to tell the truth. You can also take pictures showing how she looks when she returns from her father's house.

If you are the primary custodial parent and he has visitation only, this form can be used to request a change:

http://www.ndcourts.gov/ndlshc/FamilyLaw/Visitation/Visitation.aspx

If the existing order talks about shared custody, then you can get more information on changing that order from this packet. Changing shared custody to sole custody is a bit more complicated.

http://www.ndcourts.gov/ndlshc/forms/pdf/Modify%20Primary%20Residential%20Responsibility%20Research%20Guide.pdf

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?