Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Possibly getting a divorce and will need to separate assets.

Spouse asking for my 401k...
Possibly getting a divorce and will need to separate assets. Spouse asking for my 401k statement, taxes and all accounts info.
Will not say why, but has been speaking with a lawyer.Should I provide my 401k statement or go another course of action.
3/12/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You are definitely heading for divorce and your husband is jumping way ahead of you by hiring an attorney. You should do the same.

Eventually you will both have to share with each other the finacial information. He should be giving you his as well as you giving him yours. BUT you do not have to do so yet.

You need to consult your own attorney so that you cane be protected as well as possible.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Thank you.Is there any downside to providing the information now.Also, we live in Henry County, GA. We were told we would have to speak with a mediator from the county prior to
divorce finalization. Are there other methods to complete the divorce (mediator) without lawyers on both sides?

As long ass he is giving you all of his information at the same time.

Mediation is a good way to go. It helps you both work out as many issues as possible. The more you agree on the easier and less expensive the process.

BUT if you feel that you are not getting a fair deal you do not have to agree with the mediation.

In order for mediation to work both sides must try to be fair to the other andboth sides must share their finacial information.

Ok. Thanks.That's very helpful. Appreciate the quick response.Do you have any recommendations for lawyers in Atlanta area?

I'm not permitted to make referrals. But this link can help:

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/family-law/georgia/atlanta

ThanksHave a good day

good luck.