Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My former husband has hidden assets in order to not show he…

My former husband has hidden...
My former husband has hidden assets in order to not show he has money etc - he doesn’t want increased child / spousal support.What are some ways that he is legally able to hide it from me ?I know illegally he has used other people’s names to hide properties and used living trusts too .
3/12/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

There's no Legal way to hide income and assets for the purpose of avoiding child support. First the court considers his income, but they can also consider any assets that he has, but the court is not an investigatory body, so they won't do the leg work. You would have to bring a motion for contempt for non payment of the support and then be able to prove that he has assets under his control that should be considered for the support. If he's not working that's not the only option because unless he can demonstrate that he can't work because if injury or disability then the court could impute an amount (earning capacity) that he should be earning and base support on that hypothetical amount. If he's living with someone that supports him the court can also assign a value to that financial support he receives and impute a support amount from that. Proving earning capacity or assets that aren't in his name can be difficult and usually requires the hiring of a forensic accountant depending on how intricate the deception is.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue is works to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you ... I’m sure I’ll think of some questions- I’ll ask when they come up.
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer