Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do you get a paternity test done?

Customer Question
How do you get a paternity test done?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

If you want to conduct a paternity test just for your own information, you can contact any of the labs that do DNA testing, and use their kit to swab the child's and father's mouths.

If you want to establish paternity with the DNA, you can file a parentage/paternity action in your local family court. If the putative father denies paternity, he can request a DNA test. If it comes back 99.99% certain that he is the father, he pays the cost of the test. If not, you'll pay the cost. This can run up to $1,000.

After that, the court case will establish monthly child support obligations for each parent, and can also establish who has custody and what visitation will be.

Do you have other questions base on the information I provided?

Sue