Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Stepson is in spouse's last name, was placed in name by

Customer Question
stepson is in spouse's last...
stepson is in spouse's last name, was placed in name by Mother, without permission. Alabama is our state. He is not an upstanding nor law abiding citizen we would like for him to return to his birth name or any name he chooses , just not our last name.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed an application can be made to the court for the name change. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Ely, Counselor at Law