Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Stepson is using my spouse's last name, he was not adopted…

Stepson is using my...

Stepson is using my spouse's last name, he was not adopted nor given permission to use it. his Mother place him in the name out of bitterness and spite. The mother was told on several occasions to remove the last name. update; he is an adult and has married in the name, and has a criminal record and the "Knight" name is ***** ***** belonging to a very prominent family and law abiding citizens of their community. We want him to relinquish the name

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We are seeking information on the legalities of this situations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, erroneous child support payments were made for the same child, and my husband was a soldier at the time, a decision was made that it would cause her hardship. False statement she had a job and benefits of the military and was doing well and had remarried.

3/11/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, there is no way to legally force a person to change their name, even if you don't like the fact that they are using it.. A person is originally named by their parents, normally the birth mother, and then it is their decision to keep that name or later change it once they become an adult.

.

So you can't force the stepson to change his name any more than he could force you to change yours..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not satisfied with answer, I'm quite sure that I can't just choose any name and use it. Let's say I like the name Trump or Kennedy because with it comes status and announces that some how I'm connected to these famous notorious people.

I am sorry that the law is the way it is, but legally you can change your name to anything you want, as long as you are not doing so to avoid creditors or evade law enforcement.

.

I'm quite sure that I can't just choose any name and use it. Let's say I like the name Trump or Kennedy

.

That is incorrect. Yes, if you wanted to change your name to Trump or Kennedy, that is entirely legal for you to do. All you have to do is file the proper name change petition in court and appear for a short hearing to confirm your reasons..

.

But no one can force you to change your name to something else if you didn't want to..

Barrister, Lawyer