Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do you recommend that i file joint for bankruptcy before…

Customer Question
Do you recommend that...

Do you recommend that i file joint for bankruptcy before divorce? I am at a point that i need at least a legal separation to get a place for my girls and I to stay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has not paid child support

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/11/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Often times divorcing parties will consider a joint bankruptcy because then any discharge is effective as to both parties. Otherwise the non filing party can be held liable since the divorce court does not have jurisdiction to erase third party debts. The bankruptcy process takes approximately 6 months.
I am at a place that i need to get out of the current living situation, but need to have legal separation in order to get an apt that is a HUD qualified
I cant talk on phone,
because Im at work
That is auto generated so that is fine.
One can petition for legal separation or divorce and then file for bankruptcy as well.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.