Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does the value of a solely owned business (husband) become…

Does the value of...

Does the value of a solely owned business (husband) become part of community property in a divorce/

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing to date.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Husband and wife are seeking divorce. Wife is stay-at-home Mom. What are her rights to husband's solely owned business which supports the family?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
assuming the wife did not sign any agreements, such as a pre or post nuptial agreement, to the contrary, if the business was estsblished or acquired during the marriage, it would be community property and the wife would have a claim to the ownership and income.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
The business was established long before their marriage and has been run solely by husband.
Then the wife would not, necessarily have an ownership interest, but she could have a claim on a portion of the income and a porttion of the increase in the value of the business which occurred during the marriage.
Loren, Lawyer
Phone call session started