Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife received court docs from Minnesota saying she has a…

My wife received court...

My wife received court docs from Minnesota saying she has a 30000 child support judgement

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in Florida. Her situation is from Minnesota. Can this affect us.? I’m in Florida. We have a daughter. Her name isn’t on anything except our townhome lease. She doesn’t work outside the home

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. She received judgement from a Minnesota court. What can they do to her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

More importantly to me? This isn’t my deal

3/11/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The full faith and credit clause to the U.S. Constitution requires courts to enforce judgments from other states, as does the Interstate Child Support Act. So, unfortunately, yes, they can enforce the Minnesota child support order in Florida.

They could take any money she has in bank accounts to pay the judgment, including bank accounts with both names on them. They cannot take funds from any accounts in your name only, and it sounds like that's all you have. The issue is that she's not working at all. The state's position is that not working is a luxury, and a person who has children has an obligation to work to support them. If they brought a contempt action, she could be ordered to get a job in order to make payments (unless she is disabled, or the child is disabled). If the judge believes that she is intentionally not working to avoid paying, she could be put in jail. And that's where it starts to affect you, because at that point, you'd have to choose whether to pay to get her out or let her stay there.

Typically, before a judge orders jail, there are multiple enforcement hearings. So that's not necessarily going to happen right away. But if she's unwilling or unable to at least get a part time job to start making payments, it could happen eventually.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

everything being separate keep that way?
Also. She can’t drive. We need her to get license back
She stays home with our daughter
Her daughters are 27 and 22 In MNWhat can I do to help with this situation? And protect myself? And work towards getting license back
Would a low payment plan or a settlement help? Or you think possible?Doing nothing is a bad strategy right?
What tactic would you recommend I use?

You absolutely wouldn't want to put her name on any assets or bank accounts. Since they have a judgment, they've got 10 years from the date of the judgment to collect, and it can be renewed. So the age of the children unfortunately doesn't make a difference.

It's possible that working out a payment plan or settlement would delay them taking other action. It's entirely possible they'd agree in order to get something toward the total due.

You could choose to do nothing and see what their next step is. It's possible they'll search for assets and do nothing when they don't find any. Or they could ask her to fill out a form detailing her assets and employment history. That's really up to you. But I also don't see any harm in getting her a driver's license, to start.

It was revoked because of child supportI pay my child support and am responsible
I need to help this situation but not accept liability in writingSo how do we proceed?
Who would we call?
Do we try to do this without representation?Her no license puts our 2 1/2 year old daughter in a less that great situationMy wife was on SSDI
Was making a payment
But all taken away due to my income
What should be my next steps?

If they revoked her license due to child support, she unfortunately won't be able to get it back until she at least starts making payments. It could potentially help to

She doesn't have to do anything if she's disabled and physically incapable of working. They can only take action against her by proving that she is willfully refusing to pay support. A person who is disabled and can't work isn't willfully refusing to get a job.

The next step would ordinarily be to reach out to the state in order to see if you can negotiate an acceptable payment plan, assuming either that she's able to work now or that you want to pay to get her license back. They probably won't talk to you. It might help to have a local family law attorney help with negotiations.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer