Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandsons and his girlfriend stayed w us after she had…

My grandsons and his...

My grandsons and his girlfriend stayed w us after she had there baby for 1year she then left and left the baby here w/ is . It has been a year since she left and now comes around saying she wants her 2year old child back.. my husband and I would like to adopt, or get full custody/guardian ship of him, is this possible

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes ... my husband and I have bout ten everything for him he needs for nothing she also climbed him on her taxes when she was gone and he was w/us the whole gime

3/11/2018
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

Adoption is not possible until the parent's parental rights are terminated.The only way for you to get custody or guardianship is to be able to convince a Court that she is not a fit parent. Has your Grandson stayed with you and the baby the whole time she was gone?

If he is against her taking the child, he needs to go to Court immediately to request sole custody. The fact that she left for a year should be sufficient grounds to get such an order, at least temporarily. His rights are, of course, superior to yours, which are extremely limited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND PROFESSIONAL ADVICE

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney