Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a paternal grandmother, I live in NY.. I had custody of…

I am a paternal...

I am a paternal grandmother, I live in NY.. I had custody of my now 9 year old grand daughter for 3 years bc of mom and dads drug usage and poor choices. Mom now resides in CO with said child and is living in her vehicle... child has changed schools a couple of times already this school year...child wants to come back to me... lifestyle is very erratic and unstable with mom... where do I start? mom is not abusive but is heavily into pot and thinks she is doing fine... living in a vehicle is not fine for a child in my eyes... do I stand a chance of getting child back with me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I did.... mom is in CO and I am in NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet.. due to finances

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of but I don't know what the lawyer might need to know

3/10/2018
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no-- to the phone call...

This is where you would report the Child Neglect in Colorado:

http://co4kids.org/

But if Child Protective Services gets involved, there is no guarantee you will end up with custody. You can make yourself available for that, but they are likely to look for a resource (family or otherwise) in State.

The safety of the child should be the paramount concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is no family in state... I am her only family... her father is here with me as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
father can not get her as he has mental health and drug issues.. that is why i had custody for 3 years.... I am unsure where to start as mom has a history of disappearing with child and changing states... mom lives in vehicle so it is hard to track her

Well, for the sake of the child you should report the situation and stay involved with the caseworkers. Living in a car will likely be considered neglect, and the child may be removed and placed in Foster Care. It would take some time for the possibility of her being placed back with you in NY to become a reality. How long ago was she with you? Can you get in touch with the NY caseworkers from that time? They may be of assistance in coordinating with Colorado.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will contact NY caseworkers Monday morning.. she was with me from birth (born with drugs in her system) until right before her 3rd birthday
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mom got her back right before her 3rd birthday and disappeared in the middle of the night, I tracked her down in NC when she got an apartment and had electric put in her name (found her by her usage of her ss#).. mom figured out that is how I located her and now refuses to live anywhere she needs to use her ss#

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney