Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I leave the state of montana with my newborn if my

Can I leave the...

Can I leave the state of montana with my newborn if my husband and I do not have a custody agreement in place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I want to leave today and he knows and told me to do it. I know he will go down and file for divorce and custody agreement on Monday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just want to know if I can legally leave the state with her and not be thrown into jail.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What is the purpose of you leaving the state?

.

Are you trying to keep him from having contact with the child?

.

Or are you just moving elsewhere?

.

.

thanks

I want to move back home to be with family as we both agree our marriage is over. He is from montana and I have lived here for 2 years. I am from Washington State, where I want to go to. My baby is 6 weeks old.I do not want to keep him from her, I just have no family here or any place to stay if he wants me to leave the home. I feel there is to much tension in the home since we both want a divorce.

Ok, good, then that means he can't claim "parental kidnapping". So yes, there is nothing that would prevent you from leaving the state with the child. As long as there is no court order in place, and you are not leaving to abduct the child, then you are free to leave.

.

Just make sure he knows where you are going (you could tell him after you are gone) so he can't claim parental kidnapping..

.

.

thanks

Okay, that is great news! Thank you for answering my question!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!

Barrister, Lawyer