Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Per Court order we have to do child custody exchange very…

Hello, Per Court order we...
Hello, Per Court order we have to do child custody exchange very early on Saturday morning at 8am.
I am worried I will sleep in and it gives me anxiety so I wake up with anxiety at 3am every Sat and can’t fall asleep for a while.
Last night I was suffering for a few hours without falling asleep, and I tried to make arrangement with ex to drop off our child later in the morning. I said I can’t sleep and I will take a sleeping pill and if I won’t contact him early in am it means I slept in. I took 1/2 of melatonin pill (herbal supplement) and it helped me to relax. I woke up on time and was able to drop the child off.
This morning ex started drama saying he will call Police and CPS and that I am under influence while taking care of our child and he doesn’t trust me to drive him for drop off. He insisted on coming to pick Child up from my place.
Was it good idea to let him do it? I said I am ok to drive but he can pick the child up if it makes him feel better.
Now he wants me to do drug test. He says unwillingness to get tested proves I am intoxicated.
Ex said he will call IHSS where I work as caregiver and tell them I am taking sleeping pills while take care of our child and neglect the child. Is it valid reason to put my job in jeopardy if I took herbal supplement one time, not a prescription, and I have insomnia only on certain day of the week, not every day?
Is it good idea to get drug tested to prove that he is creating drama to get leverage in custody?
Did I do something wrong that can jeopardize my custody? Thank you!
3/10/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

No problem. Please take your time

Your Questions:

Response 1: Your ex is unreasonable. The prudent thing for you to do here is to go back to Court and request for Modification of the drop-off Order and request for a time that would be better for you so that you do not have to be under constant threats from your ex. The Court cannot take the child from you because you took an herbal supplement to make you relax because you were afraid to miss the drop-off time.

Response 2: That's water under the bridge now. If you were able to drive without putting the child in harm's way, you should have driven since your ex is apparently unreasonable and looking for a way to get you in trouble.

Response 3: That is ridiculous. His request is unreasonable.

Ex said he will call IHSS where I work as caregiver and tell them I am taking sleeping pills while take care of our child and neglect the child.

Response 4: He really should not be playing with your job. That is NOT cool at all. You DID NOT neglect the child. Don't you let him intimidate you and make you feel like you are not a good mother.

Is it valid reason to put my job in jeopardy if I took herbal supplement one time, not a prescription, and I have insomnia only on certain day of the week, not every day?

Response 5: No, it is not. You need to nip this in the bud now by going to Court and requesting for Modification of the Parenting Time and request for a different drop-off time. You can obtain modification forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Response 6: No. If you do, then you are playing on his turf.

Response 7: No you did not based on the information that you have provided here.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you so much for your fast and detailed response!
I just wanted to clarify something. Ex was saying he will file for emergency protective order because he believes our son isn’t safe in my care. Does he have valid reasons?
If he will send CPS and my employer to investigate me for being under influence, how can they determine if he is right? Will they ask me for drug test or just question me?
I did file a motion for modification of parenting time. That”s why ex is upset and looking for any possible leverage.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your follow-up questions:

Thank you so much for your fast and detailed response! I just wanted to clarify something. Ex was saying he will file for emergency protective order because he believes our son isn’t safe in my care. Does he have valid reasons?

Response 1: Based on the information that you have provided here, my answer will be NO.

If he will send CPS and my employer to investigate me for being under influence, how can they determine if he is right?

Response 2: You may be ordered to do drug testing.

Will they ask me for drug test or just question me?

Response 3: You may be questioned and also ordered to do drug testing.

And I did file a motion for modification of parenting time. That”s why ex is upset and looking for any possible leverage.

Response 4: You did the right thing by filing for Modification of parenting time. Do not let him intimidate you. You need to be strong.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law