Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

California - Orange County Family Law - I just recently loss…

California - Orange County Family...
California - Orange County Family Law - I just recently loss my job - then started a new one where my pay days are now on the 10Th and the 25th - but my alimony is due on the 1st and 15th, is there any reason why I cannot pay the alimony payments on the 10th and 25th - instead of the 1st and 15th?
3/10/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Your ex theoretically could try to have you held in contempt for late payments, and she could ask the judge to order you to pay interest when a payment is past due. Whether she's likely to do that is going to depend both on how tight her own finances are - if she has payments due between the 1st and the 10th, she might want to enforce the order as written - and on whether she tends to be spiteful.

The first step would be to talk to your ex and see if she'll agree to accept the payments on the 10th and 25th instead. That would make everything easier. If she won't agree, then you could try filing a Motion to Modify based on a change in circumstances. The judge has discretion to change your due dates.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer