Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering what the process is to dissolve legal

Customer Question
I was wondering what...

I was wondering what the process is to dissolve legal guardianship of a minor.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in Colorado. The guardianship was granted in Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are 2 minors. One is now 18 and the other is 13. The 18 year old plans to join the military and the 13 year old has expressed to me on multiple occasions that he'd prefer to have a different guardian (living with someone else)

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you
I am unable to call at the moment

Here you would write the judge in Arizona telling him that the guardianship has no further purpose and that you have relocated to Colorado.Judge should just then dismiss it.You may need to contact the court clerk there in Arizona and get judges' name/address.That should do it.

Th person wanting the Colorado guardianship for the 13 year old would need to file in Colorado where child is living here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Are you there?

Yes did you have more followup,thank

Would it be the same process with the 13 year old? In regards ***** ***** the guardianship for him?

Yes just write judge on both of them.Arizona will dismiss because they don't have jurisdiction since you relocated here.Then a new guardianship application in Colorado by the person wanting it there.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.Have a great day.

The person wanting the 13 year old lives in Arizona

So on that they would make application to same court in Arizona and you can consent to it here.They just transfer it in that case.Write the judge asking that guardianship be transferred and that you consent to it.