Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son father left town. My sons fathers mother informed me…

Customer Question
Hi. My son father...

Hi. My son father left town. My sons fathers mother informed me we went out of town for 30 days for “work” but I have not heard from him. I called his work and they didn’t know anything about him working out of town. Per our custody agreement we have joint custody. I’m thinking he’s in jail or rehab. I’ve asked my sons fathers mother multiple times to get my sons father to call me and he has not. If he’s in jail or rehab I do not want my son around him if he’s back on drugs. I’m not sure what actions I have right now or how to find out where he is. Also per our custody agreement if my sons father can keep him, he has to give him to me. Well I found out my sons was with his grandmother for a week while his father was gone and I had no idea

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: jb156200, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! First, you will want to file a Motion for Modification of Child Custody Agreement. You will want to outline how he has disappeared and that he is not following the agreement. He will have a chance to respond. If he is in jail then you will know because he won't be able to appear in court. If he does appear, you will want to request that he submit to a drug test.

If he is in jail it is public record. You may need to contact a few different agencies, such as the sheriff's department, to see if he has been arrested and is jail. You may be able to do a search on the internet.

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer