Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am representing myself, this has to do with changing child…

I am representing myself...

I am representing myself, this has to do with changing child support in the state of Alabama. I can not get a straight answer on how to go through the process of changing child support. One of my children is turning 19 in a few months. The court clerk gives me no help, just where to get forms. Can someone tell me the process? What I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There is only the divorce decree, order

3/10/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Give me a few minutes and I will provide an overview for to help you with this situation.

Please accept my apologizes, for some reason my answer did not transmit.

In Alabama, unless a divorce decree or Court order says otherwise, the support ends at 19. The obligation terminates then, but there is a process to go through with the Court. If there is one child, the process involved filing an affidavit with the Court addressing the child reaching the age of majority and that the obligation is terminated.

If there is more than one child, then a petition is required to the Court addressing that one child is emancipating and child support for that child should end. Child support would be recalculated for the remaining children and then the new amount would begin. This process would repeat until all children were emancipated.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney
Thank you for your reply! How do I petition the court? Is there a form?