Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to get a divorce. I own a house and he took out a new…

Customer Question
I need to get...

I need to get a divorce. I own a house and he took out a new 49 yr mortgage on it without my permission, The deed is in my name only and the mortgage is in his name only. Can I take my house back/

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm disabled and forced to live independently for 1 1/2 yrs. He has forged my name before, and we owned a restaurant that we bought together but he changed it to only his name

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - how did he get a mortgage on a house without your signature? Did he forge your name on the documents?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could have he's done it before. The mortgage Co said that because his name was on the original mortgage, that he could legally do it.

If it is only your name on the lease that is not good information and you may have an action against the bank. But your question is specific to wanting to know if you can take care of the mortgage through a divorce correct?

Ely, Counselor at Law