Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How much in Florida is the maximum that the state will take…

How much in Florida is...
How much in Florida is the maximum that the state will take from a guy for child support? My ex is offering 15% of what he makes and I don’t feel like that’s enough but I don’t know how that works.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I want 70/30 on rights, how can I obtain that and is it likely or should I just accept his offer of 60/40?
3/10/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

There's actually not a maximum, unless the payor is so wealthy his/her income would provide too much for his/her children. Child support is determined by a set formula, quite likely more than 15% of income. Have you accessed your local Child Support Calculator?

Here is Florida's Child Support Calculator. You can follow the prompts to input information, and it will give you an idea of what your ex will owe.

To answer your second question, do you mind clarifying what you mean by "70/30 rights?" If you mean you'll have physical custody of your children 70% of the time, that is certainly no unreasonable. It's a rough estimate, as time-sharing is by days. For example you can offer your ex every other weekend and one weeknight, which is a very common arrangement. FYI, the courts only count overnights in figuring how many days/year each parent has the children. This percentage is calculated into the child support formula.

If you can't afford an attorney to represent you, you may be eligible for free legal services. Here is the Florida State Bar page re: free legal services. It also has self-help forms here and a Find-A Lawyer line providing contacts where you can apply to see if you qualify for free legal services here.

You can also contact Florida Legal Services here, and Florida Legal Aid Society here.

Does this answer your questions to your satisfaction?

Sue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! You said it is typically more than 15%? If he gets married will it make a difference? Also do they take into consideration his bills when determining child support

Quite a bit, I think you'll find.

You'll have fun with the Child Support Calculator. If you don't know an answer, estimate. And you can try variations.

If he gets married it will not make a difference.

No, the State doesn't usually take debt into consideration. The formula asks for each party's income, number of his biological children requiring support, the physical custody split and not a whole lot else.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney