Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child is 2yrs old, her father only came into her file…

Hi my child is...

Hi my child is 2yrs old, her father only came into her file after he was forced to pay child support thru the court system, he has been very inconsistent with seeeing her over the past year and been in a lot of criminal trouble, he is now trying to take her to a Texas, to the form of harassment to me. She’s only 2 yrs old and doesn’t know his family well. Any advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I’m in Arkansas and he’s trying to take her to Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. He has commented he is trying to keep in out of the courts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes he has a traumatic brain injury, and doesn’t work or have a home, I have a letter from his father to the courts, it states he has a traumatic brain injury and needs AA and rehab

He came into her life*
Also no visitation order has been put in place.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Has he filed anything with the court? Just to be clear, there is no court ordered visitation for him at this time?

No there is not, there was something printed up from his lawyer that said “mutual, liberal” visitation and I did not sign it. However I have been letting his father pick her up and see her during the day (all day). It is always him, his father and his mother watching her. But They have only seen her a total of maybe 10 times or less, now they are constantly ganging up on me to take her on overnights (which she isn’t ready for) and those overnights to be in Texas, whereas before it was enough for them to see her occasionally at there house on the lake in the same state as me, she has only been to there house in Texas 1 time when I took her. It appears to me as thou they want to get her across state lines desperately?!

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond.

From a legal standpoint, unless something has been court ordered, you have no legal obligation to comply with his demands and let him see the child if you do not think it is in her best interest or if you think he will take the child and leave the State. Any type of visitation or custody has to be court ordered and if it is not and you never agreed to anything, it is at your discretion to let him see her at this time.

Thank you very much!

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer