Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My exhusband and I filed a joint petition for divorce in…

Customer Question
My exhusband and I filed...
My exhusband and I filed a joint petition for divorce in Clark County, NV in 2016. The only asset I asked for from our marriage was the car I was using. The car has no value today but he still has not transferred the title over to me. I also would like to file a modification of child support. Which state do I plead my case to if we both live in Los Angeles, CA?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If you both have resided in CA for close to or over two years now, you could file there. If that is where you reside with the children, it would be considered their home state and the issue with support could be heard. Moreover, you could file a motion to compel and enforce the decree and have it ordered that he sign over the car and place title in your name, if that was court ordered and agreed to and he has failed to comply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response.
In addition to him not signing over the car, I realized too late that:
a. We were never residents of Nevada. I did not know back then that residency was a requirement to obtain a divorce.
b. He lied about his income, and understated it enough so child support calculation was at $100/mo.
At the time of divorce our oldest was over 18, so only 2 children were covered. Our second turned 18 this year. Is it possible to collect on child support for the prior 2 years?

Great to hear back from you and you are welcome. If neither party was a resident but you both proceeded, there could be an issue and it would need to be known why you filed there and state you met the requirements when that was false. There could be an issue with perjury. As far as the issue with support, if you can show that he lied and failed to properly disclose his earnings, which were used to calculate support and you just found out now, you could try and recover and modify it, retroactively, if you can show he acted in bad faith.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer