Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Recently a "Field Representative" from the Census Bureau…

Hello, Recently a "Field Representative"...
Hello, Recently a "Field Representative" from the Census Bureau called at my house. She told me that I needed to answer questions relating to the my health plus other personal things. She was quite insistent and told me that the questioning would take around 45 minutes. I was just on my way to work when she called so I told her that I didn't have time to answer the questions. Since then she's called several times and now sits outside my house in her car. Frankly I feel this is an intrusion of my privacy but I think I may have some legal obligation to do as she asks. I've heard that these people can ask all sorts of personal questions that I don't want to answer, plus I'm expected to invite the person into my home. Please can you tell me what my legal obligation is here? Is there a basic set of questions that must be answered leaving me able to refuse to answer others? I am sure this person is genuine and not a scammer.
3/10/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
No obligation to answer. You can elect to refuse or ignore. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Your answer is acceptable if it's correct. I always thought that I was in some way legally bound to answer census questions. Are you quite sure I can tell this person to go away without legal repercussion?
I live in Wyoming.
Absolutely. It is voluntary.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Thank you for your answer. Easiest $59.00 you'll make tonight.