Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My spouse is in Mexico last time I knew about him it's been…

Customer Question
My spouse is in...

My spouse is in Mexico last time I knew about him it's been 12 years I haven't heard anything about him. He doesn't have a social nor is nor and address or phone number. My application won't let me proceed. What can i do with this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
I really want to get a divorce. It's been 12 years I don't anything about him. I really want the divorce
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

So you're trying to get a divorce and you can't find your ex, correct?

Correct
What can I do in this situation?

You would need to file for divorce and ask the court for what's called 'substituted service'

That basically means that rather than serving him in the "usual" way, like via a process server, you're asking the court to publish the notification in the newspaper or via facebook or something along those lines.

Ooh ok so I won't be able to finish my application at the moment

No, you can still file your complaint - you just have to ask the court to permit you to serve it in an alternate manner.

Oh ok. So what I payed for this web site. And since I couldn't proceed my application here. Would I be able to get my refund back

Were you looking to have us file your divorce application for you? We can't do that... I'll contact customer service for you if you're looking for a refund.

Please and thank you.
I though it was for divorce.