Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What will DCPP do if I fail a drug test for marijuana?

Customer Question
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/10/2018
Family Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been an attorney for 20 years. I assume from your question that you are involved in a New Jersey child protective services case and have been asked to have a drug test performed. If that is the case, a positive test is likely to result in continued involvement by DCPP. They may ask you to participate in treatment to address any drug use concerns. Were children removed from your home?

No they were not removed. They came to talk to me and my daughters father today from a report from a neighbor. I told them I would take a drug test for them and they said that will be it. However if marijuana comes back I want to know what they have the right to do. Do they have to right to remove my hold if I do fail?

There is the risk of removing the children if you test positive for any illegal substance. That said, removal is not automatic. if you test negative, that should likely resolve the matter (though there are never guarantees) but a positive test will likely result in at least some intervention by the agency to ensure the welfare of the children. I wish I could be more help, but a lot will depend on the test results and the position of the assigned caseworker.

Happy Friday. I just wanted to check in to see if there was anything more I can do to help answer you questions.

I do have a question, I will send it in after I get out of work tonight around midnight, thank you so much!