Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I press charges against a 40 year old man dating my 17…

Can I press charges...

Can I press charges against a 40 year old man dating my 17 year old daughter if she has a child of her own?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?

Georgia. No I have not pressed charges yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I looked on line and I believe by law she can have sex at 17. But I could charge him with interference of parental rights. A lady I met today said same thing happened with her daughter and law would not do anything because she had a child. Said she was consider an adult

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he knows better. She is a child and it should not be right. Looks like child molester to me

3/10/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Personally, I agree with you. It's not right for a 40-year-old man to be dating a 17-year-old girl. Unfortunately, it is legal. The age of consent in Georgia is sixteen years old, so as long as any activity between them is consensual, it's not a crime. Code of Georgia, Section 16-6-3. You could petition the legislature to change the laws, but that's not likely to be effective before your daughter's 18th birthday.

The interference with custody statute only applies to people under the age of 17. Code of Georgia, Section 16-5-45. I'm afraid that wouldn't allow you to press charges, either. The fact that she has a child of her own doesn't make her legally an adult. But I'm afraid she is old enough legally to make a decision on who to date.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Good luck.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Thanks for your help