Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What are grandparents rights

what are grandparents rights
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! Please give me a moment as I type my response to your question.

According to Missouri’s family laws, the court may grant grandparent visitation under very limited circumstances. The first scenario arises when the parents of a child are filing for divorce. The grandparents can file a motion to intervene so that they can request reasonable visitation. If a decree has already been ordered and the grandparent has been denied visitation, he or she can ask to modify the decree.

Another time when a grandparent can ask for reasonable visitation is when the parent of a child is deceased and the surviving parent denies the decedent’s parent reasonable visitation with the child.

A grandparent can also ask for reasonable visitation if the child resided with the grandparent for a minimum of six months within the two years from the filing of the petition. Finally, if a grandparent has been denied visitation with the child for at least 90 days, he or she can request visitation. In any case, grandparents cannot petition for visitation if the parents of the child are legally married together and continue to reside with each other.

Was this information helpful?

Please let me know if there is anything else I may help you with. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you with both parents alive but father now having custody it doesn't look good for us
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer