Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking to see what the statue of limitations is for…

I am looking to...

I am looking to see what the statue of limitations is for incest and rape to a child under 14 in the state of Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I was in Woodstock Georgia at the time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I haven't. I just called the local police department a few minutes ago though and am awaiting their call to see what options I have, I have been seeing a rainn counselor for nearly a year now, but I found out today that my abuser is pregnant and will soon be around her own child and now I want to see if I have any options with keeping this child safe.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im 24 as of January and the last instance of abuse happened when I was 13. The [person who abused me is a family member nearly 9 years my senior if that's important.

3/9/2018
Longhorn Lawyer

Georgia's SOL guidelines can be quite convoluted. When was the offense committed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was 4 which is as far back as I can remember when I was first abused. The abuse continued till middle school. I was only 13 the last time I was sexually assaulted. I am 24 as of this past January now so 10 years just about have passed.

First and foremost, I am really sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how traumatizing this must be. Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER OK, so before June 30, 2012. For forcible rape, the SOL is 15 years. Crimes against 14 year olds and younger, the SOL is 18 years. Under 16, statutory rape and incest have a 7 year SOL. These start to run upon turning 16 years of age.

So it sounds to me like you are still within that window.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you very much for the answer. My case is a situation of forced rape numerous times. I am only thinking about legal action because my abuser was female. My sister to be specific. I just found out a couple of hours ago from another family member that she is pregnant. This has always been my worst fear and even in my therapy sessions I haven't come to a resolution on what I would do if she were pregnant and suddenly had access to another child to hurt. what would happen if I were to press charges and tell everyone the truth about what happened to me as a child? Would they take hers away, put her on a sex offender list or something?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With one time rapes as an adult i understand there is physical evidence involved. I just don't understand how things would work at my age talking for the first time to the law out of concern without physical evidence.

Hi there,

Thanks for the positive rating That question is hard to answer. First, she would have to be found culpable. Then they could take into account mitigating circumstances such as her age at the time, conduct since, etc. There is now way for me to know for sure what the outcome to her will be. For that, I think it would be best to sit with a lawyer in a private consultation to discuss the potential outcomes in this type of case.

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer