Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is trying to get a copy of his birth certificate…

My husband is trying...

My husband is trying to get a copy of his birth certificate at the New Mexico vital records office. He had a name change when he got divorced and was told that they would not accept his official stamped divorce decree showing his name change. But that’s all he has. They won’t accept it. I don’t understand why that’s not accepted as a legal document changing a name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The divorce occurred in Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The decree was signed in 1988

3/9/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

New Mexico here it has to be thru the courts.Here is the Petition and self help he will need to accomplish this.Once he has the order vital statistics will issue amended birth certificate.Then he can change, drivers license, ss, etc.

https://seconddistrictcourt.nmcourts.gov/change-of-name-adult.aspx

Once he files here the court sets it for hearing and grants it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can psoitive rate5 stars when we are done it is sincerely ***** *****

Step 1

Go to the newspaper with the largest circulation in your county. If your county doesn’t have a newspaper, you can use one in a neighboring county. Ask the legal department to run a notice alerting the public that you want to change your name. Newspaper personnel can guide you as to what information you should include, but it generally involves your current name, the new name you want to take and contact information for the county court where you will be filing the name change. Run the notice once a week for two weeks.

Step 2

Write a petition to the court. Identify your case at the top of the page by giving the name of your county, your name, the words “In re: Change of Name of Adult,” your existing name and the name you want to change to. Beneath that, in numbered paragraphs, state when and where you were born, your birth name and any other names you’ve ever used, your address, your parents’ names and addresses, and the reasons why you want to change your name. State whether or not anyone has any monetary judgments against you or if you’ve ever been convicted of a crime. Attest that the contents of your petition are true and make a signature line for both you and a notary public.

Step 3

Take two copies of your completed petition, a photo ID and proof of your newspaper notice to the district court clerk in your county. Don’t sign your petition ahead of time; do it at the clerk's office so someone can notarize your signature. You will need cash or a money order to pay the filing fee because the courts do not accept personal checks or credit cards. Call ahead to find out what the fee is in your county. File all your paperwork with the clerk.

Step 4

Ask the clerk for a hearing date when you file your petition. Depending on your county, you might have to go to another court office to schedule the date yourself.

Step 5

Appear in court on the scheduled date for a hearing where the judge will either grant or deny your request. If no one objected to your name-change notice after you ran it in the newspaper, the judge will ask you a few questions to make sure you’re not changing your name for fraudulent purposes. If he approves your reasons for changing your name, he’ll give you an order allowing it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of your page.Have a great weekend.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer