Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does a child with estranged parents have the right at 16 to…

Customer Question
Does a child with...

Does a child with estranged parents have the right at 16 to chose not to see the father who has had visiting rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He feels that there is nothing the father can do because supposedly Colorado law gives the child the right to choose not to see one or the other parent when they reach 16. A counselor determined the child was being coerced by her mother.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It is possible, but the visitation will need to be modified by the court. While the order is in place, there is no right for the visitation to be withheld on the preference of the child.

Under Colorado custody laws, is there is no specific statutory age at which kids get to decide as to custody or visitation. In practice, most courts will generally start to give kids more autonomy around age 14. By 16 or 17, most courts will give significant weight to the child’s wishes.

So, you will need to file and the child can express their preference. The judge will then decide how much weight to give that preference based on the child's apparent maturity and ability to express themself.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you there was an easier way, but I do not want you being blindsided by a contempt citation or spinning your wheels.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.