Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

By sister passed away she had been divorced for 2 weeks but…

Customer Question
By sister passed away...

By sister passed away she had been divorced for 2 weeks but her and her ex remain good friends he was at the hospital the whole time.When we found out she wasn't Gona survive she made her ex power of attorney she thought it was over everything since her case worker came in and asked her questions I'm her sister and was in the room with them.She had 2 grown children who has just came back into her life and showed up a few hours before she passed.They started fussing with us and took her car the night she passed now their trying to with drawn what little money she had.She told people while she was able her wishes does that not count for nothing.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm sorry she passed in texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did your sister have a will?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She told all the right people so we thought her finally wishes but now we're not so sure
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She did not have a will.But she did tell the hospital and friends her finally wishes but the hospital said they only handle medical

Thank you for the additional information. A divorced spouse has no inheritance rights. Also, if there were children and they abandoned her, then there could be a case where the children do not get to inherit from the parents. The court would have to make that decision. A sibling would have to file papers in court requesting to handle the estate but it could be difficult because they may not have the standing to do so since there are children. Unfortunately, a verbal will is not valid (unless someone dies at war). So, the only possibility is to attempt to get the court to disinherit the children.

I know the news is not that great but it is better to know what could happen. We can continue our discussion. If you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you if you are satisfied with the service I am providing. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney