Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have some questions regarding custody. Maryland But that…

Hello, I have some...

Hello, I have some questions regarding custody

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland But that is also another issue as the child usually lives in York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have her as CPS was involved and relocated her to us last night

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our main question is are we allowed to file for emergency custody to then go on for full custody and which state should we do so in

3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you for your help!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can not receive calls at the moment

I'm sorry to hear about her situation.

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I'm typing up your answer now, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you so much

Yes you can file for emergency temporary custody, and can then go on to file for full custody.

This would be done in New York since that is where the child usually resides, and since that is the jurisdiction handling the CPS case.

Has the parental rights of her parents been terminated? If not, then you may need to file a motion for involuntary termination of parental rights along with your petition for full custody.

If there is an ongoing CPS case and parenting reunification plan still in effect, then the petition for full custody may need to wait until that case reached a conclusion.

It depends on some of the specifics of the case and what's gone on so far.

You can consider hiring an attorney to assist you in this process as well, it would be an attorney out of New York in the jurisdiction handling the case.

You can contact the New York State Bar for a referral to a lawyer in the area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, Thank you so much for your help!!!! I really appreciate the help!

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones