Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married to my female partner in Vegas, she still goes…

I was married to...

I was married to my female partner in Vegas, she still goes by her married name. we want to change to her maiden name for us both. how can I so this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The marriage has been filled in Las Vegas with an undetermined last name, her name now is leach mine is creacy we want her maiden name, hill

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was hoping I could change our name with be marriage paperwork at the social security office but the name is ***** ***** the marriage paperwork just on her birth certificate

3/9/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would need to file a petition for name change here in Texas to get the name legally changed.

Forms to do that is pretty simple, you will have one short hearing in front of the judge and he grants it.

https://texaslawhelp.org/form/petition-change-name-adult

Step by step and you may want to use this one because you can edit it online

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article/how-to-get-a-legal-name-change-in-texas.rl

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has felony from 20 plus years ago, will that be a problem when changing her name?

The judge will ask you about it buts been along time so it is not likely relevant at this point.But he will ask here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do we both need to change or can she change her name and I take her new last name

You both need to do name change here and get them the same.

I wish you guys the best here, thanks for letting me help you and thanks for rating 5 stars.Have a great weekend.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you.

Bye talk to you again soon.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer