Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Explain purpose of this paragraph in separation agreement.

Please explain purpose of this...
Please explain purpose of this paragraph in separation agreement. Am concerned that husband slipping it in at last minute to protect some asset he has hidden.
"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, each party shall retain, as his or her sole and separate property, any automobiles, real property, partnership interests, stocks, bonds, or other securities, savings or checking accounts, certificates of deposit, money market funds, pensions, profit-sharing plans, individual retirement accounts, deferred compensation of any kind, cash, and any other assets of any kind or nature in his or her own name, or in his or her possession, free and clear of any interest of the other."
3/9/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

That paragraph says exactly what you think. Any asset not mentioned in the separation agreement will remain the separate property of the spouse who currently has it in their name. It does protect him if he has assets you don't know about, and I understand why it makes you wonder if he's hiding assets.

There are a couple of options here:

1. You could insist that the paragraph be removed before you sign the agreement.
  2. You could request that they add a sentence stating that it does not apply to any later discovered assets or any assets that were not disclosed prior to the signing of the agreement.
  3. You could ask that they change it to state that any assets not mentioned in the document will be subject to either a separate agreement or equitable division by the courts.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer