Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife is from Minnesota and owes over 20 k in back child…

My wife is from Minnesota...
My wife is from Minnesota and owes over 20 k in back child support. She had her license suspended a few years ago. We live in Florida.. We have a daughter but she can’t drive. Really unsafe not a good situation. She makes no money stays home with our daughter. Her daughters in Minnesota are over 21.
Is it possible for her to get her license back. I will not pay her back child support they are not my children I have my own
I need to know the exact answer on how to resolve this. Not a vague lame answer please. Not consult another attorney spin
Thanks
3/9/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources.

I will try to be as specific as possible based on the information provided.

If your wife's arrearage is from Minnesota, there is an avenue for relief.

The procedure would be to contact the child support office in the specific county in Minnesota where the child support was set. I would provide that to you but can't tell where that may be from your information.

In child support arrearage cases, addressed on a case by case basis, the individual county office may where certain factors, unemployment or underemployment as well as large balances being considered, provide assistance. Understand that this is not as simple as a call and the balance goes away, but there is a recognized procedure in place that can provide relief.

If you contact them it will be necessary to identify the reason for the arrearage balance, have information related to the reason there is not an ability to pay or, if there is, a level at which the a payment may be made, identify that. The office will evaluate and process the request. Do understand that a resolution may not be a complete forgiveness of the balance, but perhaps a compromise, a reduction or a reduced payment plan i the office deems the case qualifying.

If there is child support owed in more than one county, each county will likely have to be contacted.

Absent filing a petition with a Minnesota family court, this is the most straightforward method.

If this is done, take care to document all payments and secure a receipt of the discharge of the balance and then take that discharge to the Florida DMV to address the driver's license issue.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

what do you think they will do.. She did make some payments. I wont pay towards her debt. She makes 0 income. Do you think she will have to pay to get the license back? Or do you think we should try to get new id and license first here in Fl? Or is best strategy contacting Minnesota first as you advised?
What do you think they will do? I know your not God. But what’s your guess

I always tell people never to expect a complete discharge. It has happened, but never expect it. Candidly the office is set up in an effort to have people who owe large amounts, and your wife's balance would be considered a large amount, pay something. The fact she does not work is not going to hurt her and may help. I also tell people when asking for assistance to consider offering some compromised amount as payment as if the office can be assured of getting something they will be more inclined to agree to a reduction.

So should you ask at all? I am a firm believer that unless you ask, you will never know the answer. Let's say that your wife could manage a payment of X dollars to make the entire balance go away. If you ask and they say no, you know where you stand, but if they accept the payment of X dollars, the matter is closed and no need to apply for a new ID.

That all having been said, if they denied every case that was presented to them, then there would be no need for the program.

A couple of personal thoughts, most of which are really just common sense, but I always mention them.

Child support workers can be trying bureaucrats and can be frustrating. Never and I do stress never, get confrontational or challenge them. If the matter is not going smoothly, graciously thank them for their time and ask for a supervisor. You may have to do this a several times. Also, have your information all assembled before you call. Finally, I always made child support reduction calls on Thursday afternoons. It seemed to work better. Lunch for the day was over, people are thinking about the weekend and they still have Friday to get through so they haven't completely checked out for the week.

I hope this helps and please feel free to let me know if you have any follow ups.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney