Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have asked my partner to move out...been together over 30…

I have asked my partner...
I have asked my partner to move out...been together over 30 years...he is still married to a woman in another town. He has asked for $150.000 for the maintence and mortage payments he has made over the years. The deed is in my name since we paid off the house in Oct 2017. The house has always been in my name but the last 15 years his name was on the mortage along with mine. Do I need to compensate him with any money?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

If his name was not on the deed, then no your former partner does not have any legal rights to the house even though his name was formerly on the mortgage.

Additionally since you two were never legally married, he cannot claim a division of assets through divorce for example.

Massachusetts also does not recognize common law marriage.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones