Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In joint custody battles, do courts tend to favor the mother…

In joint custody battles, do...
In joint custody battles, do courts tend to favor the mother over the father?
3/9/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

No, that's not necessarily true.

When it comes to custody, the court will use a standard known as the best interest of the child standard.

The best interest of the child standard contains several factors that the court will consider. These vary a bit by state, but generally include the following:

• "Wishes of the child (if old enough to capably express a reasonable preference);
  • Mental and physical health of the parents;
  • If a child has special needs, how does each parent take care of those needs;
  • Religion and/or cultural considerations;
  • Need for continuation of stable home environment;
  • Other children whose custody is relevant to this child's custody arrangement;
  • Support and opportunity for interaction with members of extended family of either parent such as grandparents;
  • Interaction and interrelationship with other members of household;
  • Adjustment to school and community;
  • Age and sex of child;
  • Is there a pattern of domestic violence in the home;
  • Parental use of excessive discipline or emotional abuse; and
  • Evidence of parental drug, alcohol or child/sex abuse."

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!