Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My children were placed in the custody of my mother back in…

Customer Question
My children were placed...

My children were placed in the custody of my mother back in 2011 and I'm trying to get visitation set up with her because she only allows me to see them when she wants

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My children were placed in her custody because in 2011 I spiral downward into drugs because my father passed away but now I'm clean I'm just trying to get some sort of visitation that is fair set up

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know I had some sort of plan I had to complete but I can't remember what it was I don't know if the case is open or closed I would like to do my plan if that's what I have to do But first and foremost most importantly I would like to get visitation set up

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/9/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources.

I've reviewed your information and want to share my thoughts on a plan for you pursue.

You will need to do essentially two things. First, since you mention a plan that was put into place, you need to obtain a copy of that plan. That can be done by going to the Court in the County where the order placing your children in your Mother's custody was entered and obtaining a copy of the order and plan. You can do this in writing, but I always recommend that you do this in person so you can avoid delay. Do be advised that there is sometimes a small charge for this. If you do not go there, there is also the option of seeking out the plan from any child protective agency, if one was involved, or even from any attorneys who were involved in the case.

The next step would be to make sure everything on the plan was done and that all points and requirement of the plan that you have completed are documented with certificates of completion, letters of discharge or some other written information.

Once this is done you would need to file a lawsuit in the county where the order allowing your Mother custody was issued and ask for visitation based on all of the good work you have done. You can do this yourself, or you could seek the assistance of an attorney. I always suggest at least consulting with a local attorney, but it can be done on your own. If you do file this on your own, make sure to include all documentation completing your plan.

Finally, one point I should mention, and while it may not be possible or may not be a present option, it is always possible to reach out to your Mother and see if she would agree to visitation. She may say no, but it is always good to do this so you could point out later that you had tried.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney