Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter has went by my husbands last name since she was…

My daughter has went...

My daughter has went by my husbands last name since she was 3, she is now in her 40s all her records are in my husbands last name, not the name on her birth cert. how do we fix this to make her life events legal? I have requested a change of name on her birth cert from the state she was born but have'nt heard back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

She now lives in Nevada and we live in Idaho. she was born in utah. her biological father died when she was 2

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. I contacted the state of utah. She is sealed to my husband and myself in our church

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All her life events school, marriage license, her childrens births everything since she was 2 . her birth name is ***** ***** she has went by Williams for 39 years

3/9/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Filing a name change application is a pretty straightforward process. You could go to your local civil court and request a name change application, which is a motion that you file with the court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In what state ??? Can I do it in Idah?

Then what happens is the court specifies a newspaper that the name change application would be published in. This is done so that the court can verify that the name change isn't to elude creditors or something like that... it's a common thing the court does.

.

You would file the motion in whatever state you live in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I as her mother do it in Idaho ? and then have her just sign?

You can certainly file the motion for her... but she has to appear in court for the name change motion hearing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You

It's my pleasure :) If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Thanks for your rating!
And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want).

If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or typing in: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney