Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My separated husband is telling me he doesn't want to wait…

My separated husband is telling...
My separated husband is telling me he doesn't want to wait year to date bc he can't handle not having sex.I don't mean to get into detail here bc it's weird. I asked him to leave and offered to work on the marriage through couseling. But he is mad that separation means no sex between us.I know this sounds so immature but he's telling me he wants to date others while separted.When I told him I don't agree with that, he started to talk annulment. We have no grounds - he's being silly. I've read all the reasons and none apply to us.He then started to try to scare me by concocting weird stories about possible liasons between me and my grown son????? Apart from being shocked and disgusted, I started to wonder - could he concoct awful basisless stories and ruin my grown son's reputation just to get him an annulment so he can date others? That would be so evil!Fortunately my son has no clue the awful thoughts his stepfather is saying.Can you offer your opinion here?
3/9/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello again! Ok, if his behavior becomes more inappropriate you may need to get a restraining order. I do not believe your son needs to be aware of any of this information. It's better to protect him as long as possible. If you believe there may be a chance to save the marriage, then I agree with you and he should not be having sex outside the marriage. If you believe there is no hope and a divorce is imminent, then let him move on and start dating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in light of his new weird comments yes - let him move on and date - I've already told him that.Retraining order - based on what - he has not done anything dangerous. Just a sick mind.

You can't get one yet, but if his comments start escalating and becoming more graphic you will be able to get a restraining order for him to leave the property. Restraining orders are just for physical touching but verbal and emotional abuse as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would I have to present to get a restraining order - just a complaint?Would that put him on the defensive so that he wouldn't try to play these games?I think he's trying to scare me bc he wants to rush the divorce and wants annulment quick.He approached it by saying way back at Thanksgiving he took (this is gross and awful) my used panty and tested it and it tested positive for semen and we hadn't had sex in 4 days. So rediculous - I'm a pretty prudish person. He then jumped to the conclusion that it was my sons?Do you think he's trying to scare me or somethign?Don't worry - this pretty much put the nail in the coffin of any desire for counseling with him.Yuk.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My worry is that he might defame my son and ruin his life.No - I won't let my son know about any of this. It would crush him and he'd probably want to hurt the guy.

I definitely think he's trying to provoke you. You would go to the clerk's office and fill out a few forms. It's a fairly simple process.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is evidence of emotional abuse needed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know of cases where someone in a separation or divorce did false accusations similar to mine?Does it become public?This is so awful - gross!

Not when you compete the paperwork. There will be a hearing and that is when you will want to show evidence of being in fear of him, not just for you, but for your son as well.

The details do not become public.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If he tries to do something stupid like that - is it possible to keep his rediculous claim private from my son?

Yes. The court will not involve your son.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Son is 22 btw
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good. Also - if he does such an awful claim - will it impact my two minor sons? I'm widowed - the 2 minor sons are in hs - that kind of a claim could cause someone to question their safety in my home!You see why it's gone from he's odd to I'm scared?

If it does you will have a viable claim to file against him in civil court.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Claim for what - defamation?

Defamation, emotional distress...it depends whether he tells people in public. If he tells people then you have a better claim to sue him. In the end I think the best approach is to let him go. Let him date. He may stop being inappropriate if he is allowed to move on.

jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer