Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do prenups work in FL? My boyfriend said his lawyer said…

Do prenups work in FL...
Do prenups work in FL? My boyfriend said his lawyer said never get married again because they don't work. We r together 6!years and I don't feel secure.
3/9/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Some context may help...are you married? Do you have a prenup?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aliso what is common to include in a prenup? My BF owns a half million dollar company and doesn't want me to work. I'm 47 and have no security has we aren't married and been together 6 years everything is In His name. What should I ask for in a prenup or some kind of companion contract.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not married live together. My BF was told by a lawyer that prenups don't work. Is this true?

Thanks
Your BF has been misinformed. Prenuptial agreements are common under FL law. YOu can see the law that applies (the FL statute) here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0061/Sections/0061.079.html

The contract must be in writing, and signed by both parties. But if you agree on the terms? They are enforceable. Again, whomever told him otherwise is misinformed.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is common to ask for in a prenup? He makes 1million per year and doesn't want me to work ... everything is in his name.

There is no "common"...it depends on the circumstances. But what you are describing, he certainly has counsel (an attorney)...I would urge you to hire one to review what he is offering. A prenup is a contract. NO more, no less. so the terms are negotiable. You can ask for whatever you feel comfortable asking for.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer