Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does the custodial parent have to inform the non custodial…

does the custodial parent have...
does the custodial parent have to inform the non custodial parent on day to day decisions, e..g, an impromptu trip out-of-state to visit relatives for a few days (when the non custodial parent was not going to have them anyway?)
3/9/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources.

It looks like you are the custodial parent and your concern is as to day-to-day decisions - specifically taking a trip out of state to visit relatives. Is that correct?

Also, in what state are you located?

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the only thing is that I am a very good friend of the custodial parent (so I'm not the parent myself - she is broke, so I'm trying to do anything I can to help), and her soon-to-be ex husband is abusive, controlling and manipulative. Oh, so since they are not technically divorced yet, I guess I should say that for the past year and 1/2, she is, in essence the custodial parent (even though there is no court document, stating that, at least to my knowledge) in the state of NY, because he will just pop in and out at HIS convenience to visit the children, sometimes without giving her a reasonable amount of notice (or he'll cancel a weekend last minute), so I guess that's kind of a side question for you...that until there IS anything in writing, would she be considered the custodial parent, due solely to the fact that she has had the children under her care, 95% of the time, ever since he left his family? Sorry if I'm not being clear in any way. So yes, one specific question she (I) have is whether she has to inform him on anything other than MAJOR stuff, like illness/injury, etc. I believe that he was told that he could not leave the state without informing her (though even when he does, she is unaware of exactly the type of setting they're in and with whom, the sleeping arrangements, among other things of that nature, because he is currently living with his girlfriend, who also has children, and an ex-husband who rents a room from her in her house!!
Phone call session started

It appears the call dropped.

Several points.

If there is no order in place there is no guidance as to whether she would have to tell him. Do balance having to deal with him if she does travel.

A schedule would be very beneficial.

I also suggest looking at ourfamilywizard.com

It is also possible to use parenting coordinators or doing exchanges at neutral locations.

Finally, encourage her to speak to her attorney about alternatives to litigation such as mediation - we did not talk about this, but I wanted to mention it.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney