Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My spouse and I are wanting to do 50/50 custody of our two…

My spouse and I...

My spouse and I are wanting to do 50/50 custody of our two boys with neither paying child support to the other. that does not seem to be an available option?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we are using an online option since this is an easy uncontested dissolution

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is it

3/9/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Yes, you may do a 50/50 split with no one paying child support. I would not recommend using the online option. Your best option is to stop by the clerk's office in the county where you will file your paperwork and pick up a divorce package. When you go to the clerk's desk, tell them you want the divorce package for pro se applicants, with child support being waived by both parties. The clerk will give you the correct paperwork to complete.

Unfortunately the online version can sometimes not be user friendly.

Was this information helpful?

it was helpful. Unfortunately it looks like I'm out a lot of money from the online service.

Which online service were you using?

Let's see if maybe we can save you money.

mydivorcepapers.com
They have a page to contact them to request the refund, however every time you request the refund the page mysteriously crashes and is unable to send your request.

Ok, I think we might be able to fix. Have you contacted their customer support?

Nevermind that option.

Have you printed the forms?

I also attempted calling them, they are closed. No, I hit the screen discussing the child support and couldn't proceed.

Ok, an option you may have is reporting the charge on your card as fraud and therefore canceling the charge. Now a problem with that is the card will be canceled and the bank will send you a new card.

I did contact my bank, opened up a case. Money in limbo for 60 days if I get it back. I'm terribly frustrated.

Do they file the documents for you or can you print them and submit them yourself?

If I was able to complete them, I would be printing and submitting.

Ok, what you can do is modify the documents yourself. You can either strike out the provisions you do not want and then you and your ex can initial the strike outs, or you can retype the document yourself in a Word document and only use the provisions that pertain to your situation.

Jessica B
I know that would be really easy for you :) however I forked out the money to not mess this up. I'm completely unsure what to do at this point with limited finances.

I know. I'm so sorry. I'm telling you, you're not going to screw this up. Your ex and you pretty much agree on everything so you really can't mess up. I know you're worried so I would try a few more times to get in touch with customer support.

I will attempt to harass them when they open tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Thank you!