Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I married my wife in 2008 5 years later she moved to Boston.

I married my wife...

I married my wife in 2008 5 years later she moved to Boston . I would like to divorce her but I don’t have a current address for her or phone number .

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in NYC she lives in Boston

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

If you are unable to locate your wife, then you'll need to do a divorce by publication.

A divorce by publication is used when one spouse wishes to get a divorce but does not know the location of the other spouse.

You'll first need to obtain an Affidavit of Diligent Search which is approval from the judge documenting the efforts you've made thus far to locate your wife.

Once that affidavit is signed off on you will be able to make a posting in a local Boston newspaper giving notice of your pending divorce in NY.

The notice needs to be run for 3 weeks. Your spouse then has 30 days to respond.

If she doesn't, then the court will grant you an uncontested divorce.

You should be able to obtain the required forms through the clerk of courts office.

However you can consider hiring a lawyer to help you in this process.

You can contact the New York State Bar for a referral to a divorce lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much , your answer really helped

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones