Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

May I ask another question about child support? I’m having a…

May I ask another question...
May I ask another question about child support?I’m having a baby in July in Texas. I moved to Florida in August last year and got my Florida driver’s license in October. I am moving to Texas in 2 weeks. The child’s father is an employee of a federal government agency located in Virginia. He works from home in Florida. We are not married nor live together. He started acting controlling and verbally abusive since I got pregnant, and stalked me online. He drinks a bottle of wine a day and has firearm. I fear for my safety and the baby’s wellbeing so I’m moving away.I’ve been separated from my husband who’s in Massachusetts for almost a year with a restraining order against him. For that reason, I don’t know his address to file for a divorce. He was physically abusive and threatened to kill me, so I keep my whereabouts a secret from him. I don’t know where he lives either since he got evicted. He’s not the father. His domestic abuse case is pending jury trial before July in Massachusetts and I plan to testify against him.So would child support guideline be based on Texas’ Law or Florida’s law? If it’s based on Florida law, can I file for child support through a Florida family attorney while in Texas? Will the husband need to deny paternity rights prior to the father being contacted to establish his paternity? The father says he will contest, so how long will this process take?
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Hi again! Just a reminder that JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice.

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Child support will only be granted after the court establishes paternity.

To file this request you would need to do so in the jurisdiction in which the father lives, which in this case would be Florida.

Therefore Florida laws would govern with regards ***** ***** support calculations.

Once paternity is established, the court will move ahead with the child support order.

The entire process can take several months, anywhere between 3-6 months if everyone appears in court for scheduled hearings, is cooperative, etc.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate this question for me, 5 stars are always appreciated. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Considering I’ll be in Texas with a newborn, how will I be able to appear in court in Florida?

You can consider the option of hiring a local attorney in Florida.

Your attorney can appear in court on your behalf, and can file all of the necessary forms and motions for you.

I may have sent this to you in the prior question thread, but in case I didn't, you can contact the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service to get a referral to a family lawyer in the jurisdiction where the case would be filed, ie. the county where the father lives.

The phone number is:

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones