Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering if the name i chose to put on my divorce…

I was wondering if...

I was wondering if the name i chose to put on my divorce papers is legal enough to change my birth certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusettes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet because I have no idea if I need to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if the hyphen i put in my name on the divorce papers is legal enough to change my birth certificate to that name

3/8/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources.

I want to help you with your questions today. It appears that you want to enter a name on your divorce papers and then have this name carried over to your birth certificate - am i correct in this understanding?

It appears that you were attempting to respond to me but that there may have been a problem. To respond all need be done is type your answer in this box and I will attempt to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Finally a spot to type in lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok here goes

I have it here. So did my overview accurately reflect what you are trying to do?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I was born my mother put a hyphen in my name that didn't get put there on my birth certificate. I was wondering if the name I put on my divorce papers (my name with the hyphen) is legal enough to change my birth certificate or if I have to do a name change

So the short answer as to whether filing a divorce will be enough to allow you to change your name on a birth certificate just because you put it on the divorce paperwork. To have a birth certificate changed you need to have one of two things

First, many states will allow you to make minor changes, such as a hyphen just by filling out agency specific paperwork. Secondly, if a Court orders that a birth certificate be changed, then it has to be changed.

So while just putting your name on the divorce decree as you would like it - with the hyphen - it will likely not be enough, but with very little else, likely a statement similar to the following - you could have a judge order it at the time you obtain a divorce. Understand it is up to the particular judge, but a name change is within their power.

If you set out for the Court.

1 - there was an error made when you birth certificate was issued.

2 - you have been using your name with the hyphen all your life.

3 - You want to change it now and are doing so at your divorce.

4 - You want the court to order your name changed to include the hyphen and your birth certificate changed.

Of course make sure it is accurate to your situation and put the name you want in the paperwork.

This should result in a Court order and then the birth certificate agency will have to comply.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thx

5 stars are always appreciated and if you have any other questions you can ask me even after you rate me.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

I just wanted to follow up and see if there were anymore questions related to this with which I could help?

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney