Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in the middle of a divorce and my husband and I have…

I am in the middle...
I am in the middle of a divorce and my husband and I have agreed on a partial property settlement and custody and that I can purchase a house using a 401k withdrawal and move out. The draft is with my lawyer who got called out of town unexpectedly. The close date on the house is rapidly approaching and I'm getting nervous the agreement won't be fully executed in time for me to withdraw the funds. My husband is convinced the "court" will care if I take funds out and we will get in trouble somehow. As long as neither of us complain to the court and the agreement is fully executed within a reasonable timeframe I don't think the court will care.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

As long as nobody complains you should be fine.The risk is that ex will not settlement and assert claim on the house or the 401k.If you have sentiment signed in writing then you have protection through the courts if he doesn't comply.But its your call here whether to take the risk.Only you know your ex and whether his word is your bond.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer