Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 15 year old neice who lives in Houston, TX. She and…

I have a 15...

I have a 15 year old neice who lives in Houston, TX. She and siblings need help. She is physically abused by her mom. We have seen it and so has the Grandfather.
In addition, she has to take care of her 1year old sister on a consistent basis even when the mom is at home, The baby even sleeps with the my 15 year old neice. She is subjected to various boyfriend's of her mom 's who calls her names and threatens her, has missed school activities because she has to take care of her 1 year old sister, her mother verbally abuses her and cusses, calling demeaning names. Myself and family want to take action but fear she and the kids will be removed from the home. Family members are willing to take her and kids. There are three of them - 15 years of age, 11 years of age and 1 year old. We don't want the kids to go to a foster home.The boyfriends are questionable as most of them are gangsters or jailbirds. When the boyfriend is there, the kids keep a knife close to protect themselves. The mom even allows the boyfriend, who she hasn't know very long, to babysit the kids. The mom has told them that if they hear her screaming when she is in her bedroom with the boyfriend for them to call the cops. Is there anything we can do without these kids being place with the state? Also, once CPS is called, how can we protect the 15 year old particularly, from retaliation from the mom or boyfriend. It is our ultimate goal to take the 15 year old out of the situation once CPS is called but we cannot anticipate when CPS will contact or visit the mom. Please help.Houston, TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? Have any charges been officially filed?

This is in the state of Texas. Supposedly, my niece says about 3 months ago, she reported her mom to her school but we, the family, have not heard what became of that. This could be due to the mom and boyfriend threatening my neice not to tell us. Also, we opened up a case in California when they were living there but the mom had moved to Texas about the time CPS showed up. That was about 2 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Basically, I would need to know what would it take to obtain a lawyer for something like this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your neices' situation.

As this is a fairly complex matter I'd be happy to speak with you over the phone to discuss the possibilities here.

I'll send you the service offer for the call so we can proceed. Thanks!

Nisha Jones

Here's the number to the Texas State Bar that you can call for a referral to a family lawyer in your neice's county:

(###) ###-####/p>

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones